Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Why I Fed My Ego

I'm usually pretty honest with myself.
I'm willing to admit that, on occasion, I've got a bit of an ego...it's my pet, in a way.
It's furry, comforting, and makes me happy sometimes; until it get's too unruly and needs to be punished...taken down a peg, if you will. Egos are funny that way. Kind of like a gremlin. It begins life as a cute little mogwai, but feed it too late and strange things start to happen.

An ego out of control is nasty business.

Usually, I take care not to give my ego too much freedom. I'm not as fond of it when it grows too big. It ceases to be comforting and cuddly but starts to take up too much space, and snaps at my fingers, which is NOT cool.

You have to starve an ego to bend it to  your will. Starve it of affection, starve it of praise, just DONT feed that bugger. A well cared for ego will keep you warm on cold nights, keep you company when you're lonely, and remind you that, despite that little voice inside your head, you are NOT a crap artist. You're pretty good.

Well, today, I am not going to bother trying to corral my ego.

For just this one day, I'm going to give the little sucker free range and let him (why I should think of it as a him, I don't know. It just seems to fit) run wild and free!

Because today, my photographs have been published. My work is featured in a magazine.

I know there are plenty of people out there who make a living through their published work, but this is a first step for ME, and one I am so proud of.

Maybe someday I will look back at this moment and think to myself, "aww, how cute. I was so simple. So naive to be so happy over such a small thing."
But I hope not.
I hope I never stop being grateful that other people found my work worthy of praise.

Run free, little ego! Get drunk on praise and enjoy the bacchanalian abandon!

Because tomorrow, you'll have to be cut back down to size.

But not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment